Sunday, June 18, 2017

#MTBoS Pick A Number Week 1 Results

The winning number for Week 1 is 5, by @sun.  (Which doesn't seem to be a valid Twitter handle, so the Glory goes out anonymously.)

There were 51 total entries which is pretty good given the fact that I started with 4 followers and a well-used hashtag.  The graph and raw data offer some good notice/wonder opportunities.

Some of mine:

1)  The most chosen number was 4.  When I compare this to week 1 graph from this year at my school (scroll to the bottom for week 1), nobody chose 4.  Instead, 3 was most chosen.  I think my students worked their way up from 1 and stopped at 3, whereas a clever group of math teachers went one integer further.

2)  When I've started this with students, I've done so with no guidance other than the rules.  So I'll always get a few submissions of 0.0000000001 or negative numbers -- then they start to pay attention to the words.  No such problem with math teachers.

3)  The winning number in the first contest this school year was also 5.

4)  How many players there are will have a critical bearing on the strategy of choosing a number.  Will this change things for next week?

What do you notice?   What do you wonder?


No comments:

Post a Comment